Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Chemo, Round 1

I started to write this blog Monday afternoon when I got home from my first treatment.  Here were my thoughts then:

That was it?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not full of energy, but I don't feel that bad.  We'll see how the rest of the week goes, but so far I'd say I feel like I was told I'd feel--kind of run down, easily tired, like I have the flu.  Man am I glad that first treatment is over.  Now just 15 days more (not including today) and I'll be on target to lose my hair.  That feels like the final big hurdle.  I mean, yeah, I still have surgery, and then more chemo and then radiation, but all that feels doable now. 

Two days later:
Holy shit this sucks.  Boy was I naive.  In hindsight, my chemo nurse said it would be like morning sickness.  I HATED morning sickness.  I had it with both Belle and Addie.  But with Addie, I had morning sickness pretty much the whole pregnancy.  Also, the anti-nausea drugs?  A scam.  Let's just say I'm ready to explore Plan B for the next round.  Those who have made offers, for, uh, "herbal remedies"?  I'll be in touch.

But today is Wednesday (I think) and I got out of my PJs today.  I felt like death this morning, but now I feel better.  I do honestly think that despite this morning, I feel better today than I did yesterday.  The hardest part is admitting that I DO feel like crap and I'm exhausted and I can't help Aaron with the girls in the morning.  Or at night.  Because I love spending time with my girls (and Aaron too).  But I just don't have it in me right now and that's really hard to admit.  I can't wait to feel better because I feel like an invalid and I'm not a very good patient.

On the plus side, the meals have been awesome!   I'm sooo glad that my friends set up that Helping Hands site because it has truly been a lifesaver.  And work has been a really good distraction, too.  Yes, I have mustered the strength to work.   


Despite how I'm feeling now, I am still glad that at least it's started.  Because I do feel like a lot of the anxiety I had pre-chemo has gone away.  Even some of my anxiety about losing my hair has gone away too, but that could just be the Ativan talking.  I did go a little crazy buying scarves the other day.

Anyhoo, that's all for now. 

2 comments:

  1. You are so brave! Sorry that you are feeling so crappy, but happy that you got past the first hurdle. I remember when my mom was going through chemo and lost her hair - we had fun with her wigs and different styles....and I remember also that dad had to be very straight forward with me about how delicate mom was at times. They were honest, but calm about it, and so from a childs perspective it was not scary - I am so grateful to them for that.

    You are going to look beautiful in scarves - you have such striking eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone can rock a head scarf and turn it into the fiercest fashion statement of all time, it's you!

    ReplyDelete