Friday, August 16, 2013

An overdue thank you for all of the support

One of the upsides (and I'm not sure there are many) to this whole experience has been the overwhelming support we've gotten these last few months.  As the next round of chemo approaches, I wanted to take this opportunity to say a long overdue "thank you" for all of the support we've gotten these last few months.  Not a week goes by that I don't get a card, flowers, email, FB message, phone call or text from somebody letting me know that they're thinking of me.  It is very, very much appreciated.

And the presents!  I could go on and on about the presents.  I've gotten a painting that somebody did herself (and it was really good!), turbans (and really cool brooches!), care packages with books and really thoughtful notes, scarves, gift cards to all sorts of things and more spa certificates to Bella Sante than I know what to do with (I'm getting better about making the time to go--this is a very good problem to have).  Oh, and people buy me lunch a lot.  Plus tons of stuff for my girls too.  And even more amazing, some of these presents have been from friends of my parents--people I don't even know. 

Every time I've gone to chemo I've gotten an awesome care package from my co-workers.  This past one had 3 bottles of wine and a bottle of beer from a favorite brewer of wine.  3 bottles of wine!!!!  And beer!!  I am so blessed to work with such great people.

And all of the meals and rides I've gotten have been so very, very helpful. 

Any time I get sad about people that I thought would be there for us but haven't (and there haven't been many, but there are some), I remind myself about all of the people that HAVE been there for us.  What's even more humbling is that many of these people I didn't know very well before I got my diagnosis.  I am truly, truly amazed by how great people have been.  I don't know what I did to deserve all this but we are very, very thankful. 

Thank you so much for sticking with me.  Chemo starts up again on Monday.  It's not supposed to be as bad as the last round. I'm nervous but not anxious per se.  I just dread having this poison going through my body.  I know it's intention is good, but it still sucks.  If all goes according to schedule, I'll be done on October 1 with chemo.  Then I start radiation around October 21.  In early December I should be done--sort of (more of that in a sec).  It still feels like a long road, but I do think that the worst is behind me.  Now if only my hair would start growing back...

From there I still have a few more things to deal with--10+ years of estrogen blocking therapy, getting my ovaries removed (early menopause!  Whee!) and reconstructive surgery for my new boobs.    

I'm not a big gusher and I don't know what I've done to have people be so supportive, but again, I'm very, very appreciative and continue to be overwhelmed.  I certainly owe so many people individual thank you cards and unfortunately I doubt I'll achieve that any time soon, so please know there aren't enough words to say how grateful I am to everybody.  Thank you so much!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment