Saturday, January 4, 2014

The drug post

Several months past I promised a philosophical discussion on all of the drugs I've been accumulating.  Well I don't know how philosophical this post is going to be, but for those that have been waiting, it's finally here.

The first chemo type I had made me really nauseous.  I was given anti-nausea drugs to help with the nausea, but they never really worked.  At least not to the degree I wanted them to.  If they're labeled "anti-nausea", that to me suggests they will get rid of the nausea.  They didn't.  Even speaking to my oncologist and chemo nurse, the intent seemed to be for me not to throw up.  The nausea was just something I had to ride out.

When I first got diagnosed, one of the first things my dad said to me was to get marijuana for the chemo side effects.  I had an aunt whose husband had cancer and he swore up and down that the only thing that helped with the chemo nausea was pot. Needless to say, to have my dad recommend drugs was a bit out of the ordinary, but I can't say I was that surprised.  Of course, then he joked about me getting stoned and the girls asking why I was acting so funny.

The pot helped, but the whole pot smoking thing was strange.  I'd usually smoke it in the bathroom in our basement.  Alone.  It felt pretty pathetic to smoke pot by myself in the downstairs bathroom.  There was only one time that I smoked with a friend and actually had a good time.   Most of the time I just smoked enough to help ease the nausea.  I guess it worked a little.

While I do love  my cocktails, overall I prefer the drugs that give me energy.  For my second chemo rounds I had drugs that gave me lots of energy.  I LOVED them.  But I couldn't take them for more than a day or two.  That's always reassuring, when you're told not to take drugs for more than a few days because of the potential side effects. 

So I guess that's the post.  In my head this post was longer, but I don't know what else to say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment