Tuesday, April 23, 2013

April 3, 2013

That's the date I got the news.  The biopsy came back as positive for breast cancer. Since then things have been a bit of a blur.  There have been lots of doctors' visits, second opinions, blah blah blah.  I'll share those stories along the way.  Some are strange (the PowerPoint I viewed at the plastic surgeon's office is a blog post all on its own), some are surreal (the day I had my lymph node biopsy was the day that Boston was on lockdown as they searched for the 2nd Boston Marathon bomber), and others are funny (some of the bizarre reactions I've gotten when I've told people the news).

This blog is intended to be a journal of sorts for me that I can share with everybody else.  There are many friends that don't know yet about my diagnosis--I apologize if I didn't get a chance to tell you personally.  I have also realized that there are a fair amount of people out there whom I haven't spoken to since they originally heard the news--feel free to get back in touch if you haven't heard from me.  It might take me a while but I'll respond. It's also been nice that this has brought me close to co-workers that I've only known 6 months.  I suppose having crying breakdowns at work will do that.

The last three weeks have been a roller coaster to say the least.  Bottom line, my oncologist and the rest of my medical team are very, very optimistic that I will beat this.  That being said, I have a long road ahead of me.  The story changes a bit as the doctors get more information and as I choose which treatment path to follow, but the path is starting to take shape.

I have good days, okay days and bad days.  I think the anticipation is the most stressful.  This really is a "one day at a time" journey.  The support I've received has been amazing.  I know part of this journey for me is going to involve learning how to ask for help and to let things go.  Work has been very reassuring that they're going to be there for me and not to worry about work--I need to focus on me right now.  I'll need to learn to let work go.  I hope over time I will learn to relax a little, but that's going to take some time too. 

Anyway, this is the first entry of my cancer journey.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment