Wednesday, April 24, 2013

If I donate my children to science, I might as well lead a good example.

Now that I've started this blog I feel pressure to continue it.  Anyway, a rather boring day at BI.  I met with the medical oncologist, signed the paperwork to participate in the clinical trial (more on that in a sec) and sat in my surgeon's office to have my incision looked at because the oncologist thought it looked swollen, only to find that it really wasn't swollen at all.  Well then.  Oh, and I visited the wig store at BI today.  Still processing that whole part of this.  The upside is visiting the surgeon's office today may have saved me from having to go in on Monday.  Sweet.  Of course, just in case I start to miss BI, I am going back next Tuesday to finish the clinical trial prep work (I hope) and meet my radiation oncologist.

One common question I've been asked is, "what's your treatment plan"?  I am participating in a clinical trial.  Before I answer that, let me back up a little.  I have tested positive for the BRCA gene.  This wasn't a surprise seeing as how my mom has the gene (but was one of the lucky ones to never develop breast cancer) and my mom's dad had it. This particular trial tests whether women with the BRCA gene may respond better to a different type of chemo than the standard "AC" chemo.  I don't have my (growing) manila folder with me right now, otherwise I'd be more specific about the type of chemo being used.

Anyhoo, depending on whether I'm in the control group or the test group, I'll either get 4 rounds of chemo over 8 weeks (control group/AC chemo) or 4 rounds over 12 weeks (test group).  Then surgery, then more chemo, then radiation. The rest of my year is pretty well planned.

Some might say, "a clinical trial, isn't that kind of risky?"  The way I see it, I really have little to lose.  If I'm in the control group, I'm getting the standard treatment of care.  If I'm in the test group, I get to be a guinea pig.  And even cooler, I get to be part of a research study.  I have already confirmed that I can have a copy of the final paper as a study participant.  My oncologist says it probably won't be published for several years, but that's okay.  One day I can show my girls the study that Mommy participated in.  After all, I donated Addie to science a few months ago:
Don't be fooled by my crocodile tears! 


So that's the education part of the day.  I would like to say a huge thank you to everybody who has sent me emails and messages as news has gotten out.  It has been so amazing to hear from so many people, many of whom I haven't been in contact with for years!  That's been awesome.  It's unfortunate that sometimes it takes bad news to bring people together, but I have been so blown away by the support.  So those are the happy tears that I cry, because people have been saying such nice things to me.  One of my favorites was the following,

"People may say you are fun loving and funny and that is definitely true but I also admire how brilliant and intelligent you are. I remember sitting in conference rooms with you and just thinking, “wow I really wish I was as smart as her.” I’d even sort of tune out what you were saying and think, “are people just born that smart or can you work towards it?”"

I think I liked this one in particular because I have basically felt like a moron since I had children.  I think tomorrow I will share the story of the Plastic Surgeon's Powerpoint. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachele,

    I hope you keep up the blog - I will be reading it and rooting for you. :)

    About the BRCA gene and the clinical trial - I think it's great that you are doing this for yourself, your daughters, and humanity (I know that sounds hyperbolic, but it's not!). My mom was in a clinical trial for a certain drug when she got diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer, and it no doubt saved her life 9 years ago and since it has now been made available to other women - many more, as well.

    I also have a history of breast cancer (both grandmas, my mom, & her first cousin), but we don't have the BRCA gene. All of their cancers were estrogen-receptor positive, which I believe has much to do with the use of early birth control pills and (in my mom's and her cousin's case) hormone-replacement therapy (she had a hysterectomy at age 35). One of the things I became passionate about after her breast cancer diagnosis at age 54, and her cousin's death from breast cancer at age 48, is more awareness about women's health - particularly our reproductive health and the way these health issues are researched, funded, and prioritized. Suffice to say that we have a long way to go, but it's a worthy struggle and education saves lives.

    Sending you strength and with you in spirit,

    Kristina Campbell

    ReplyDelete