Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Rachele goes to the Radiologist


Radiation started today.  Even though today was only my first visit, I’m pretty sure that I already have notes in my file about being a “difficult” patient.  Here are some examples of my interactions thus far (I apologize in advance if the formatting seems off.  It's sort of driving me crazy):
  1. I had my initial consult with my radiation oncologist in August.  This is essentially a meet and greet to get a sense of what radiation is like and to meet my radiation oncologist.  This meeting was uneventful.  I provided my PCP’s name, not once, but at least twice in this initial meeting to a few people (this is important for later on).
  2. Before radiation starts, you go in for your mapping.  The radiation team figures out where they’re going to point the radiation lasers and you get tattoos so they know where to point what I like to call the "radiation lasers".  This happened between my third and fourth chemo treatment back in September. When I checked in, I had the following conversation with the woman at the front desk:
    • WAFD:  “We have a note here that we need the name of your PCP.”  
    • Me:  “You’re kidding me, right?  I’ve given this to you at least twice already.”
    • WAFD: “Yeah, sorry.”
Needless to say, this filled me with confidence about the practice.  
    3.  After the mapping, I was told they’d be in touch about the number of treatments I needed and when my daily slot would be.  Super.  I finished up chemo, and before I knew it, I was a week away from starting radiation.  Except that I’d never heard from the Radiation office.  So I called to see what the deal was. Here's how that conversation went with one of the nurses:
    • Me: "Hi, I had my mapping a few weeks ago, and I start radiation next week, and I was checking in to see how many treatments I'm going to be getting and when my regular time slot is going to be."
    • Nurse: "Oh, we go over all of that at your initial radiation visit.  The schedule and availability changes as people finish up radiation."
    • Me: "Perhaps I misunderstood, but that's not what I thought you told me at my mapping appointment.  Waiting isn't going to work for me.  I'm trying to plan my life here, so I'm going to need that information now."  
I got my slot.  I realize that things happen and people might have to extend a few sessions because they previously missed sessions, but the last time I checked, that's what a calendar is for.

4.   After today's radiation treatment, I met with a nurse.  She called me Rachelle.  I corrected her on the pronunciation of my name.  This is how that conversation went:
    • Nurse: "Oh...it really looks like Rachelle." 
    • Me: "Yeah, well it's not.  Sometimes people get confused because of the single l."
    • Nurse: "I think it was the e at the end that threw me off.  Do other people call you Rachelle?"
    • Me: "No, because it's not my name."
And scene.

One down, 32 to go.  I can tell they like me.  It can only deteriorate from here.  At least the actual radiation oncologist is nice enough.  She hasn't acted like this doctor yet (thanks for the clip, Erin!):

No comments:

Post a Comment