Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Another milestone checked off of the list: Chemo is over!

Yesterday marked the end of another milestone--the last chemo!  I rode in with two of my best friends and their new puppy Tugger.  I was so happy to see Tugger (I was really happy to see my friends too, but I hadn't seen Tugger in a while)!  He rode in my lap the whole ride in.

Tugger and me

I later told one of our cats, Doppy (yes, I talk to my cats.  Interestingly enough, they talk back as well) that Tugger gave me more love in the hour ride into BI than Doppy had given me in the three (four?) years he's lived with us.  His response was, "And your point is...?" 

Oddly enough, the end of chemo has been a little more emotional than I was expecting.  I am always worn out at the end of a treatment, so it could have been that, but it was one more milestone that I could check off.  Tomorrow will be 6 months since I got the news.  It's only been 6 months? It feels like a lifetime.

The good news is so far my usual post-chemo funk isn't kicking in.  I suspect that the euphoria of being done is probably helping with that.

So what's next?  I have the next three weeks off and then I start radiation.  I don't know how many radiation treatments I have yet, which is a little frustrating, because I just want an end date.

By the way, I did go to the Babson reunion.  It was fun.  I don't think I was very recognizable in my wig (at least initially).  The advantage of this was that I was able to avoid talking to anybody I didn't want to talk to.  The disadvantage is I had to make the effort to approach people.  There were some people I tried to wave and say hello too and all I got was a blank stare in return. 

My hair's grown considerably in the last few weeks so I'm starting to re-explore the world without a wig, scarf or hat.  I went out today a few times without wearing anything on my head.  It was actually very liberating.  I'm playing around with faux-hawks right now.  I am re-exploring the world of hair products to shape my hair.  We'll see what arena I'm ready to go next--it's one thing to go around my neighborhood.  It's another to brave daycare, work, and working out.  More to come on this.

1 comment: