Friday, September 27, 2013

Post treatment blogging

I thought I would take the opportunity to blog when I'm not in a chemo week funk.  I didn't really publicize my last post but I did want to follow-up on it a bit because in hindsight it felt a tad self-centered and narcissistic.  I know that there are some people out there that haven't been in touch because they're dealing with their own issues.  I get that and my post wasn't directed at those people.  I got a fantastic response from this post.  I know I still owe a few people responses--I haven't forgotten about you, I just can't get my act together.  I also realize that many people don't know what to say or they assume certain things, so they don't say anything.  In case it wasn't clear, that was the point of my post--don't assume and even if you don't know what to say, reach out anyway (assuming you want to).  I'm not sure I articulated myself well in this paragraph, I mainly wanted to clarify that I do realize at times it's not all about me.

A few people have said I should write a book when this is over.  I'm incredibly flattered that you think I is a good righter (in case you don't know, that was a joke).  Others have asked me if I'm going to keep blogging when treatment is over.  I think if I were to keep blogging, I'd have to change topics.  The question, of course, is, what topic?  I could do a parenting blog, but there are a lot of parenting blogs out there.  I could talk about how concerned I am that in 2013 I still run into people who think it's weird if a girl wears a superhero shirt, or a shirt with dinosaurs or robots on it.  I suppose I could do a work-related blog, but I spend enough time at work.  One thing I have lots of opinions on are celebrity conspiracies, odd comments the media says about celebrities, and the general narcissism of celebrities:

  • Celebrity conspiracies: It's been a while since I've spent a lot of time thinking about this, but two are my favorites are 1) that Nicole Kidman faked the pregnancy of her first daughter and 2) that I think Britney Spears youngest boy has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.  I suppose the latter isn't really a conspiracy per se.  I'm sure if I wrote a blog consistently, I could come up with more.
  • Media's portrayal of celebrities:  Does anybody else remember when Princess Kate had her baby and they were all leaving the hospital and the media praised her for not being afraid to show her body so early post-partum?  Do these people realize that you don't leave the hospital with a flat stomach after having a baby, no matter how much or little weight you gained during your pregnancy?  I saw the same said about Alec Baldwin's wife.  Really?  
  • General celebrity narcissism. Why do celebrities take so many pictures of themselves half-dressed?  Do they really think we care?  Are they that self-centered?  I also saw a headline of how Beyonce rode her bike to one of her concerts in Brooklyn and posted pictures of it along the way.  So...she brought a photographer with her on her bike ride?  That's just odd. 
You might think I am ashamed at how much time I spend thinking about this. Oddly enough, I'm not.  Anyway, those are just some thoughts.  I'm sure next week will go back to our regular programming.  Final chemo funk post?

No comments:

Post a Comment